Corporate Social Responsibility
Promoting social responsibility
Northern Bear promotes social responsibility in all aspects of its business by:
- Ensuring that we have procedures in place to minimise the impact of Northern Bear on the environment
- Committing to promoting social inclusion and equality of access to employment and promotion opportunities
- Supporting sustainable local economic development
- Embedding ethical practices in all our trading and procurement.
Establish sound environmental management by:
- Taking competent advice on a regular basis regarding compliance and new developments
- Putting in place company procedures that meet or improve on relevant legislative, regulatory and environmental codes of practice
- Developing objectives that target environmental improvements and monitor performance by regular management review
- Considering any environmental issues in the company decision-making processes
- Developing a relationship with suppliers and contractors so that we recognise our mutual environmental responsibilities
- Educating staff so that they carry out their activities in an environmentally responsible manner.
Provide for the effective use of resources by:
- Promoting waste minimisation by recycling or finding other uses for byproducts whenever economically viable
- Promoting the efficient use of resources, energy and fuel throughout the group’s operations.
Promote opportunities for local employment & training by:
- Liaising with local employability schemes and Job Centre Plus to identify opportunities for work placements and on-the-job training
- Ensuring our Equality & Diversity Policy is reflected in all company recruitment and training procedures
- Providing jobs for local people in the areas where we operate
- Supporting local community good causes.
Work with the local small business and social enterprises by:
- Establishing trusted relationships with local subcontractors and working in partnership to win joint contracts
- Sharing knowledge of the compliance issues and the procurement process with SME subcontractors.
Maintain ethical practices by:
- Paying all staff at or above prevailing minimum wage
- Having processes in place to check hours worked do not exceed Working Time Directive limits
All materials, suppliers and subcontractors are required to pass Northern Bear’s approval process which includes ethical product manufacture and having proper working conditions in place.