Policy for protecting the environment
All Northern Bear companies are committed to demonstrating sound environment protection performance in all aspects of our operations. We expect our suppliers and subcontractors to do likewise.
Northern Bear Safety Ltd is our internal specialist environmental team staffed by qualified professionals. They have put in place a group environmental management system which reflects the requirements of ISO 14001.
Our Environmental Management Policy identifies the specific areas of impact Northern Bear activities have on the environment and defines control measures to be implemented to reduce any damaging effects.
Key Environmental Policy undertakings
- Continuously improve management processes and operational procedures that are designed to prevent pollution
- Comply fully with all relevant environmental legislation
- Provide employees and subcontractors with such information and training relevant to environmental protection
- Make efficient use of energy resources, taking appropriate opportunities to reduce waste and promote the reuse and recycling of materials
- Avoid wherever practical the use of environmentally damaging substances, materials or processes
- Ensure all waste materials are stored, and disposed of safely in accordance with the company’s ‘duty of care’
- Minimise environmental nuisance arising from any work activity, which may have an effect on any neighbours
- Where appropriate, liaise and consult with the Environmental Agency and Local Authority and communities on environmental issues
- Ensure all suppliers and subcontractors fully endorse the environmental culture of the company by adopting our policies and procedures.
Our Environmental Objectives
- To reduce waste by more than 10% compared with previous years
- To divert 90% of all waste from landfill
- To re-use and recycle materials used in our businesses wherever practicable. Alternatively, to use only legally compliant waste carriers, waste treatment and disposal facilities
- To reduce mileage and fuel usage by efficient route planning
- To ensure the involvement of all employees in environmental matters
- To ensure continual review of environmental systems.
Group Managing Directors are directly responsible for ensuring adherence to this Policy, monitoring environmental performance and setting specific targets for their particular part of the business. Project Managers are responsible for implementing the Policy on a daily basis.